Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto

Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Default Gun shop find

I'll be bringing this home in a few days. I haven't seen one of these in a long time.

Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Nice
Old 01-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
panther
Extraordinary Member

Sweet!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
rman
Extraordinary Member

Great find and it looks like it's in great shape.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

That rates a WOW.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
2Late45

Very nice, resembles the Commander I gave my son, minus the wood grip panels...
Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

I got it home Wednesday, spent yesterday going thru it. More pics and comments later.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

Will be looking forward to it.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 PM   #9
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

I got this little pistol put back together after giving a good going thru. Its been shot some but not abused. I think its going to be a good shooter, and maybe a carry gun. We'll have to see about that.

Its a Colt Lightweight officers ACP in 45ACP (of course). It has a 3.5" barrel, is 7.5" long and weighs 24oz. It was made in 1985 according to Colt's web site, the first year of production. Slide to frame fit is pretty darn good for 30+ year old gun. Very slight side to side play, and no up and down at all. It came with 1 6rd mag and came in a blue plastic Colt box. I'm certain its not the original box. It has had some modifications so its not 100% original. It has been parkerized. The thumb safety had been replaced with an extended one, and the grip safety has been replaced with a beaver tail one. The grips have been replaced with slim ones.

Now for the rest of the story.

I like a parkerized finish, so that's a none issue. The hammer engagement angles are correct, so its good to go. Since the frame has already been radiused for a beavertail, it will have to stay, but that's a good thing. The thumb safety is a different story. Who ever installed it didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. They cut the lug angle wrong and rounded it off. That made it kind of hard to engage and disengage. It was also hit and miss as to if it worked right all the time. Would you believe I had a brand new Colt thumb safety in my parts bin. I got it fitted, and its working as it should be. While I had it apart, I replaced the sear spring and got it adjusted to a 5.5 pound trigger pull. Since I have no way of knowing what the round count is on the recoil, firing pin, and hammer spring's, and I don't have a spring tension gauge (yet), I will probably replace those before I shoot it too much. The bore is bright and the rifling is sharp. There is no peening on the lock up lugs on the barrel or slide, the barrel hood or recoil plate. The barrel bushing fit to the barrel is good. The barrel link is good. The sear hadn't been bothered, but I did a honing job on it, any way. The disconnect is in good shape. I didn't find any problems with the slide stop, firing pin or any of the Series 80 firing pin block system. As for the grips, I'll leave the slim ones on there for now and try to find an original set.

So far I'm pleased with the purchase. I feel it was worth the $550 I paid for it. I kind of felt like it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Now to get to the range.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

Sounds good Teddy! I guess I didn't look at that picture very good when you posted it. I thought it was a Commander instead of an Officer's model. I don't know if it's just the picture, or if it has a shorter than usual short trigger. My only 1911 like that is a Para and it's all steel. It's heavier, but still makes a good carry piece. If yours is reliable, it should be even better. I'm anxious to see how it shoots.