Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms > Firearm Accessories

Old 08-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

I installed the spring kit in the XDs 45 (between episodes of Gunsmoke) today. There were only 2 springs to replace in the slide. #1 was the striker spring. #2was the striker pin safety spring. Those were a piece of cake.

Then came the frame. There are 6 different springs in the frame, 4 of which get changed out. #1 is the disconnector spring. #2 is the sear spring. #3 is the grip safety spring. #4 is the trigger safety spring. All in all, it was a pretty easy task, but you have got to take you time and be patient. That little grip safety spring gave me fits. I also installed an extended mag release button while I was at it. After only 1 gallon of iced tea, I got it all back together, and everything works as intended.

Here are the results.

The before average tripper pull was 7lbs 3.0 oz. That was an average of 10 tests.

The after average trigger pull is 5lbs 1.2 oz. That also was an average of 10 tests

That is quite a difference and I am pleased with the results. Hopefully I can get to the range sometime this week and try it out.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #12
rman
Extraordinary Member

Sounds like a noticeable improvement Teddybear. Will be looking forward to a range report.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
kansas45

When I bought my XD Tactical and XD Service pistols there weren't many aftermarket parts available. I took them over to Gregs to let him work his magic on them. After some cutting and welding and polishing and a few spring changes the Tactical has a 2 1/2# trigger while the Service XD has a 3 1/2# trigger. I sure do like those pistols.
Sounds like you did a good job on yours, Teddy. I'll bet the thing shoots great with the new spring kit installed.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

I took the XDs to the range this morning also. I shot 50 rounds thru it. The spring kit and the resulting 5# 1.2oz trigger pull made a world of difference. My shot groups sure were smaller. I had a lot better trigger control after installing the kit, than I had before. The take up is so smooth, and the release is crisp and smooth, and the reset is as smooth as silk. I am very pleased with the results this kit gave me. If any one has an XDs or any XD for that matter, I would highly recommend the Powder River Precision spring kits.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #15
kansas45

That's cool, Teddy. Glad the trigger overhaul worked out so well.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #16
rman
Extraordinary Member

There is nothing like a good trigger to tighten your groups Teddybear. I like the fact that the XD's have a grip safety. I think it makes them much safer with a light trigger than many other striker fired handguns. My Ruger SR9C has a nice, light trigger pull. It doesn't have a grip safety, but does have a 1911-style manual safety.