Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Transportation

Transportation Ways to cut transportation costs.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
caneman

Default Like bare bones small trucks?

I'd like a newer truck but can't find anything like what I'd like. I want a small size truck with AM radio, utility trim and seats, intermittent wipers, cruise, guages, a great heater/defroster, side mirrors,cigar lighter for my spotlight and an extended cab so the dogs can ride there and a spot to keep a duffle dry, (No Seat), great insulation. Five speed is good, Automatic is acceptable, extra 6 or 8 gallon fuel tank is good for those times to fill when there are dips in gas prices. Wing vents are wonderful but a step out of the past.

Very basic as far as electronics are concerned seems to be a thing unobtainable so they must be high profit items. Just an old phart wanting basic transportation
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I have a 1994 Ford Ranger that had less than 50K on it when I got it and now has over 190K. It has given me great service. Found the wife a 2003 Taurus with less than 50K on it. Wish I could find another used Ranger with less than 50K.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
caneman

Me too Calvin. My Ranger is a 1991 model and over 100K and showing it. The only truck I've liked as well was a small Toyota which I foolishly sold when it hit 168,000 miles, but those are pretty expensive in this market.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Vetter
Banned

Smile

I bought a bare bones 89 Chevy in 92 for $2100. It was an Amtrac truck with 18000 miles and all service records with service performed by the local Chevy dealer that sold it to Amtrac. Stepside 1/2 ton, 232 in line 6, automatic with a bed liner. I put a stereo, a sunroof and baby moon's with trim rims, looked pretty good. I drove it until 2004. Never did anything but change oil, belts, hoses and tires except a new radiator. I still see it every once in a while. Ain't hard to spot, it is Amtrac bright orange. Told everybody I washed it on halloween every year because touch up paint was 1/2 price the day after halloween.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

I'm kind of in the market for something like that also. I don't really care if it is a compact truck or not. Once I'm retired, mileage won't be too big an issue. We shouldn't be driving 44 miles a day round trip like we do now, and I'd keep the car because it gets 32-35 mph. Where I live, I probably should have a 4-wheel drive. We get in and out pretty good with the front wheel drive car unless the snow gets deep. It goes good until you start pushing quite a bit of snow - then it's done. I don't care much about engine or tranny either. A V-6 would be good enough and I don't mind a 5-speed. I'd prefer no power windows or door locks, but need a heater and a/c. Oh, and did I mention, it has to be fairly cheap!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Rear wheel drive trucks aren't good on ice and snow. You need front wheel drive in that. The v6 engines has plenty of power for the small trucks. Mine has a 4cyl. engine with a 5 speed trans. and it works for me. If I was pulling anything I would need the 6 cyl.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
caneman

I too prefer the Frt Whl Dr on ice and snow, but I drove so many years with RWD I feel I can get along most of the time.

With my youngest vehicle being 19 years old (oldest is 24) I drive whatever I can find that's cheap and easiest on gas.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
caneman

To open this back up, the reason I like small pickups is the height of the seat for entry and exit. Not having to climb up or squat down takes a lot of strain off my back.

Of course the small ones usually get better gas mileage too. I've never been able to understand why they cant get another 5mpg out of the small pickups and 3mpg in the full size. We got more than that percentage improvement in the International trucks when I was there.

Another thing that would help is if the rear ends could be purchased with a little higher ratio. No reason I can see why they don't make the stick shift trucks available with the rear ratio of a automatic. That would generally go from a 3.78 - 4.10 down to a 3.23 neichborhood.

They didn't ask me though.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good points Caneman. I bought a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup awhile back. It has a 4 cylinder, automatic, with a/c. It probably averages about 23 mpg. Not good, but it beats some of the big gas hogs. (It sure ain't no hot rod though)
Old 08-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
caneman

Generally speaking I don't need more than 200 - 300 lb. cargo capacity. Sometimes that weight will have a volume greater than will go in a car trunk so the truck makes it easy. Once a year when getting garden supplies I might haul 500 lb. but that's a rarity. The rest of the time it's my car. It just doesn't have a back seat. As I said before though, the space cab concept makes carrying the dogs or winter walkout gear much easier.

Since I'm an old phart 0 - 55 is unimportant as long as it will get to 55. I'm in flatlands and on rare excursions into heavy hills in older cars I found dropping a gear was a workaround that worked.