Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms > Long Guns > Muzzle Loaders

Muzzle Loaders Discussing Muzzle Loaders

Old 12-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Default For those that use...... substitute powders

Amazing what one finds, when searching. Recently came across a post on Traditional Muzzleloader Association site concerning Pyrodex and a post by Bill Knight, reposted within the group. Pyrodex has hazards to ones health with cyanide vapors that for me was unknown about the breathing there of the dust, and or smoke or in the handling there of.

We already know that handling Goex black powder has little known hazards.... which leads me to my next purchase that will be Goex FFFg which is less fouling than FFg even in a .54 cal.

http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php?topic=22980.0

Quote:
If you look at the patent for Pyrodex you see another chemical not found in the 777. That being dicyanamide (spelling?). This dicyanamide is an corrosion preventer for the powder before powder combustion. It keeps the charge from attacking and pit corroding the bore where the powder grains come in contact with the bore. Now during powder combustion that is broken down and it gives off pure cyanide or potassium cyanide.

I learned this the hard way when I flashed Pyrodex on a bunch of steel plates in my poorly ventilated basement. After a half dozen plates I felt like I was going to pass out. I knew from my experience at work that I had inhaled cyanide gas. At work I had been hospitalized several times after inhaling acrylonitrile fumes. You breath in the acrylonitrile and it breaks down to cyanide in your blood stream. So I dug out the Pyrodex patent and Lo und Behold there was the dicyanamide. Which explained why precombustion charges did not corrode the bore but post combustion reside did.

Now without a perchlorate in the 777 they could do away with the dicyanamide.

Now on the Internet message boards we had the Internet front man from Hodgdon monitoring any posts that might reflect badly on them or their product. One poster commented about toxic fumes given off by the burning of Pyrodex. Well. The Internet monitor really ripped into the guy. In part telling him that organonitriles do not give off toxic fumes. That proved to be the opening I was looking for. You see at work, in the PVC Pilot Plant we used this dicyanamide to passivate metal in glass lined reaction vessels with pieces of glass missing from the inside surfaces of these reaction vessels. This would help stop unwanted polymerized PVC from sticking to the walls of the reaction vessel. So I routinely heaved around 40 pound bags of this chemical. And on all edges/sides of the bags were big red warning labels to avoid heat, fire or flame as it evolves toxic fumes of cyanide when heated to it's decomposition temperature. So I posted that the man should get up from his desk and head out to the raw materials storage area and read the labels on the bags of this chemical. Boy did that end that thread in a hurry.

I laugh. These people that supply we ml shooters think we are all a bunch of dumb clods. Otherwise we would be shooting smokeless powders.

Bill K.
Of course this caused me to look into the MDSD Safety Sheets of Pyrodex, Triple 7 and Alliant Black Mz which BTW I have enjoyed up to now, with no effects. But after reading the MDSD Safety Sheet on it, this changes things for me.

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...ex-sds-new.pdf

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...en-sds-new.pdf

https://www.alliantpowder.com/downlo...s/Black_MZ.pdf

Just passing this along, you all use what you want.... As for me, I will heed the warnings and go back to using real Goex Black Powder.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

I wasn't aware of this either. Thanks J_B!