Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Recommendations > Things you would not Recommend for others.

Things you would not Recommend for others. Things you have tried, and wouldn't Recommend to others.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default Light Bulbs

GOOD TO KNOW??..INFO from FIRE DEPARTMENT:
Below is a picture of a CFL light bulb from my bathroom. I turned it on the other day and then smelled smoke after a few minutes. Four inch flames were spewing out of the side of the ballast like a blow torch! I immediately turned off the lights. But I'm sure it would have caused a fire if I was not right there. Imagine if the kids had left the lights on as usual when they were not in the room.
I took the bulb to the Fire Department to report the incident. The Fireman wasn't at all surprised and said that it was not an uncommon occurrence. Apparently, sometimes when the bulb burns out there is a chance that the ballast can start a fire. He told me that the Fire Marshall had issued reports about the dangers of these bulbs.

Upon doing some Internet research, it seems that bulbs made by?Globe? in China seem to have the lion?s share of problems. Lots of fires have been blamed on misuse of CFL bulbs, like using them in recessed lighting, pot lights, dimmers or in track lighting. Mine was installed in a normal light socket.

I bought these at Wal-Mart. I will be removing all the Globe bulbs from my house. CFL bulbs are a great energy saver but make sure you buy a name brand like Sylvania , Phillips or GEand not the ones from China .
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
I bought these at Wal-Mart. I will be removing all the Globe bulbs from my house. CFL bulbs are a great energy saver but make sure you buy a name brand like Sylvania , Phillips or GE and not the ones from China .
That's scary Calvin. Thanks for the info. By the way, I'm pretty sure GE bulbs are made in China too - not sure about the others. Sounds like we need to stay away from Globe. (Or maybe Walmart)
Old 07-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
kansas45

Almost every bulb in my house and all but two drop lights at the farm shop are CFL's.
I do buy quality bulbs. They save on the cost of electricity. Usually, if I leave I turn off the lights.
Thanks for this information Calvin.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
greener
Extraordinary Member

I've seen them discolor at the base. Supposedly there is a resister in the base that gives up the ghost, sometimes with heat and sometimes with smoke, when the bulb burns out.

Not sure that you can differentiate between bulbs since most (~85% or more) are made in China.

I've been using CFL's and other fluorescents for years. I was never convinced that CFL's are all that great a savings since they cost considerably more than incandescents. I have a few year's supply of incandescent bulbs.
greener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
Vetter
Banned

I have all CFL's. Guess I should chack them all to make sure they are not "Globe". Most came from Lowe's but some from Walmart too.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

I'm with greener, I stocked up on incandescent bulbs & I'm looking for some dishwasher detergent that actually cleans dishes.
Benvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Nes

We use them everywhere but may switch back an only use them outside.
Nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
caneman

My electric bill hasn't dropped more than $2.50 a month with ALL CFL's. Replacement bulb costs run $7.00 a month. Congress and the environmentalists stuck it to me one more time. Mandates are really beginning to pass me off.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneman View Post
My electric bill hasn't dropped more than $2.50 a month with ALL CFL's. Replacement bulb costs run $7.00 a month. Congress and the environmentalists stuck it to me one more time. Mandates are really beginning to pass me off.
We use them everywhere except outdoor security lights because they don't do well with the on-off cycles. That's what a guy working at Lowe's lighting dept. told me based on customer feedback and returns. We checked our house for brand name and found no "Globe" brand but also found all were from China. They run much cooler than incandesant bulbs and here where the A/C runs almost year round they'll save electricity by not generating so much heat.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #10
greener
Extraordinary Member

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cflbulb.asp
greener is online now   Reply With Quote