Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #11
Vetter
Banned

About 5:30 one morning a guy I knew wakes me up and shows me a Hula Popper hanging off his hand. We go down to the boat and get the handy dandy fishin pliers but that puppy wasn't coming out so I take him to emergency. I'm supposed to be at work at 8 and it's 8:30 so I take him up to the desk and say we probably won't need to see a doctor, put his hand on her desk and get the handy dandy fishin pliers out. That's all it took, the doctor was there in a flash!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #12
rman
Extraordinary Member

When I was in my mid-twenties I was just really getting into handguns. I'd been handling rifles and shotguns for years already. I always prided myself in how safely I handled firearms. I had just scraped up enough money to buy a S&W Chief's Special and was having a high old time reloading for it and shooting it. One day my wife and daughters were gone for the day shopping. I decided to go to the local dump and do some shooting. I always saved a cylinder full of cartridges so I could carry it home loaded. When I got home, I got out the newspapers, cleaning kit, etc. and set it all up on the kitchen table. (Didn't have a garage or basement in those days.) I unloaded the gun, cleaned it good, dry fired it a bunch (of course), then reloaded it and put it away in the top of the closet. A little later I decided to get it out and do a little more dry firing. I sat down at the kitchen table, pointed it down at an angle so it was pointing at the table top, cocked it and eased the trigger back. I was shooting some 110 Gr JHP stuff that I had reloaded. (I'm guessing it was +P+ - I used to be dumber then, believe it or not.) Instantly there was a blinding flash and noise that far exceeded a nearby sonic boom. I sat there in shock for a few seconds. Then I started looking for damage. The bullet passed complete through my wife's new kitchen table, hit the hardwood floor, leaving a dent and skittered across the floor and bounced off the mop board. My first thought was thank God no one else was home and the second was man is my wife going to be pi##ed when she sees the table. Needless to say, I became a lot more safety conscious after that.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
kansas45

Don't feel bad rman. I killed my brand new beautiful inlaid wooden coffee table a while back about the same way. A XD45 makes for a quick demise & little suffering. ( Except for when Terry came by & picked up the American Rifleman magazine that I cleverly covered the hole with. She was not in the least bit amused)!

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
greener
Extraordinary Member

When I was about 7 I was playing in the garage with a neighbor and came across my Dad's .22 rifle. I pointed at my friend and was about to pull the trigger. He kept saying that it might be loaded. To show him it wasn't, I pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger. Made a loud noise for a .22. I've never believed that a gun was unloaded since.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Today Kansas was talkin' about raking leaves. Well, I'm sometimes not the sharpest knife in the drawer. We used to come to Key West 5 months a year and one year I decided I would leave about a foot of leaves for the winter to fertilize and keep the grass healthy. Came back to Pa. May 1st to a slick and slimy lawn without 1 blade of grass. What a mess. DUH!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
Vetter
Banned

Question BA

I decided to clean my Sigma real good. Well, I took the sear block apart and it was pretty dirty. I cleaned it and put it back together with the part that holds the sear and springs in backwards. Put it all back together (yes it slides right in place), racked the slide and pulled the trigger. Well, Trigger pull was about 3 lbs. and it broke at about 1/4". Did it a few times and it seemed to function fine. Well, I doubt 1/4" of trigger would be enough spring load to do anything but tickle the primer but would not take a chance carrying that "Plaxico" discharge waiting to happen. Tore it down and found my boo boo. No harm done. I need to start going to BA (Boneheads Anonomous). My name is Vetter and I am a bonehead.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Sharon has got to where when I start to do something and "say that's going to be easy", she says "OH NO!".
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #18
Bozack
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
I decided to clean my Sigma real good. Well, I took the sear block apart and it was pretty dirty. I cleaned it and put it back together with the part that holds the sear and springs in backwards. Put it all back together (yes it slides right in place), racked the slide and pulled the trigger. Well, Trigger pull was about 3 lbs. and it broke at about 1/4". Did it a few times and it seemed to function fine. Well, I doubt 1/4" of trigger would be enough spring load to do anything but tickle the primer but would not take a chance carrying that "Plaxico" discharge waiting to happen. Tore it down and found my boo boo. No harm done. I need to start going to BA (Boneheads Anonomous). My name is Vetter and I am a bonehead.
It is not your fault. They should not make parts that will go in backwards.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #19
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozack View Post
It is not your fault. They should not make parts that will go in backwards.

Bozack, I like the way you think!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #20
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
Sharon has got to where when I start to do something and "say that's going to be easy", she says "OH NO!".
I learned long ago, when working on computers, that you never use the terms "easy", "a snap" or "a slam dunk". That almost guarantees that the job will be extremely complicated and take hours to complete!