Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto

Old 08-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Default M&p bodyguard .380

My local gun shop had a customer appreciation days last Friday and Saturday. Lost of door prizes and free food, and a lot of nice drawing prizes.

This little guy was laying in the case just screaming pick me pick me. So I just had to bring it home with me. Heading out to the range Monday to give it a try.

Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
greener
Extraordinary Member

I've seen and handled, but not fired, the Bodyguard. Seems to be a pretty pocket .380.

Terrible thing about Sporting Goods/LGS stores. They have customer appreciation days or other sales events and the customers come in see the bait and set the hook for them.

Enjoy.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
kansas45

Good looking little piece, Teddy.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Vetter
Banned

Brother in law left his BG380 to Franne. We haven't fired it yet But I can say it's got a terrible trigger. It's only had 20 Federal 90 grain low recoil JHP rounds thru it. I hope she doesn't want to carry it. 6+1 of .380 isn't enough to make me feel good. The safety is hard to get off but I'm sure it would wear in or a polish would do it. The trigger is so long and hard I see no reason to use the safety as long as it's in a pocket holster. Laser is useless but for a BUG or short trip somewhere pretty safe I would guess it has a purpose. They sure fly off the shelves at gun shops. I'm waiting for a range report!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

Nice little gun Teddybear. I'll be waiting to read your range report.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Hey gang. My shooting buddy, Fred (his real name ) and I made it to the range early this morning. I ran 40 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense thru the Bodyguard. Thats the only ammo I have for it. I will start by saying the little pistol ran perfectly. No failure to feeds, failure to extract's, or light primer strikes that I have been reading about. I was able to keep the rounds inside the 9 ring from 7 and 15 yards. Sorry I don't have any target pic's, but I ripped them off the target holder and "file 13'd" them with out thinking. The accuracy is pretty good I guess, since its has such a short barrel. Recoil is next to nothing, as is usual with the 380.

This is the first double action only pistol I've ever had, so this is uncharted territory for me. I'm going to have to spend a lot more time on the trigger before I can get better accuracy than I did today. Trigger discipline is going to be a must for this little gun, at least for me. One thing that concerns me, is that I cant insert a mag into the mag well without first depressing the mag release button, even a empty one. There is no information about this in the owners manual. The sights are small, but I didn't have any trouble picking them up. The red laser on the Crimson Trace washed out and was not visible in the sunlight.

I did a field strip on the bench last night to clean all the lube and what ever might have been in there from the factory, and the take down lever was a bear to manipulate. It is a non captive type, and comes out of the frame. I ended up taking a nylon punch and tapping it to get it to turn 90 degree's like it's suppose to. Once I got it turned, it came out easily. Getting the take down lever back in during re-assembly was much much easier.

For a sub compact pistol, even for a 380, I think this little gun will be just fine to carry in a pocket holster on those hot days (like we've had the last week) when you really don't want to have to wear a cover garment to conceal your gun. I'm just going to have to spent a lot more trigger time with it before I will feel comfortable carrying it.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:51 AM   #7
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good report Teddybear. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:31 AM   #8
kansas45

Great range report, Teddy. Thanks.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up Good report Teddybear...

Good report Teddybear. Sure sounds plenty accurate.
One of these days we'll get around to shooting Franne's. As these little pocket pistols get more popular ammo is real hard to find.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Just a few more observations on the M&P Body Guard.

1) The take down lever has loosened up quite a bit, and I can rotate it down now without the use of any tools.

2) The slide stop/release is easier to manipulate than I thought it would be if you like to release the slide with it. I was taught to rake the rear of the slide as far to the rear as I can get it, and then let it go. The slide stop was just that, the slide stop.

3) The thumb activated safety is quite stiff. For me, it doesn't protrude out past the slide/frame far enough to be able to activate/deactivate it easily. But my question is, what does a double action only pistol need with a thumb activated safety to start with. Maybe its a liability thing.