Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
Dr Dave

Allright, I'll play. BTW I'm the new Dr Dave, the old one had a period after the Dr, I have a space. This is me the first time out with my full-auto Tippmann X7, before I got the collapsible M-16 stock. I use the factory default 13 balls per second and carry 1,000 rounds, plus I always have paint grenades and am the only one that has smoke! I just popped this sweet smoke grenade, but I am not signaling for the attack; I've just been shot and I'm leaving the field, mad.
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #32
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

Great picture, thanks.

Tippmann X7, you're driving me to the search engine as much as these other guys do.
Benvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #33
Dr Dave

Default One more

Found another pic of my Tippmann X7. I'm defending our flag, and am in combat with three enemy. Me and my buddy had the only full autos of folks that played at that field; everyone was jealous. Here I'm firing at thirteen balls per second; you can see the bolt open. Also note the empty pod on my hip. At this point I have about $800 in the X7. I've been using Tippmanns since the eighties, and the X7 is the coolest sounding paintball gun I've ever heard. It doesn't go shush-shush-shush, or tat tat tat, but has a real hard-edged Eastern Bloc sound; it goes BRRRRRRP! B B B BRRRRRRRP! Folks just drop when you fire at them; it's great. The coolest thing about this pic, though, is: look at the holes in the leaves

Old 02-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

Great pics! No helmut???.................Dick
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #35
Dr Dave

No helmet! I tried to play with just the goggles, no mask, like in the old days, and they were going to let me, then decided the insurance people wouldn't like it, so I had to wear the stupid mask.

It shows the kids wearing body armor that they're wussies. Getting shot in the face really hurts, though. You DO need the goggles; paintball guns are all tuned to shoot just under 300fps; you can see the ball in the air sometimes but you can't get out of the way.

When we had our own field, we had one newbie show up with every article of clothing he could squeeze on. He knew he'd be crawling out in the dirt, so for his outer covering he picked his WHITE painter's overalls, covered in bright red, yellow, green, purple etc. It was pretty funny - he looked a psychedelic snowman. He did not play a second time
Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #36
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

Smile

Another great pic. You really get into that.

How big an area is the course or field or what they call it?

I've seen small setups around here, about the size of a building lot with bean bag things to hide behind. That doesn't look like much fun but being out in the woods would make for some squad tactics & serious fun. Good stuff.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #37
Dr Dave

The best field I've ever played on is DFWPro here in Texas; both the pics are from there. I don't know how many acres they have but it's a lot - they divide it up into four main fields. I've posted a link of some aerial photos. The lines you see in the unwooded field are trenches, about chest deep. Notice the bunkers, pillboxes, building and foxholes. They only play mil-sim. The bean bag thing is called speedball, and it has as much to do with real paintball as kite flying. It was invented so ESPN could televise it; they can't easily film sneaking through the woods.

It's not paintball, you can see everyone from the start, there is no hiding and no sneaking, zero concealment, only cover from the bean bag thingies. Mil-simmers completely look down on speedballers, and they look down on us. I've done few things as much fun as paintball, the keys are to SHOOT, MOVE and COMMUNICATE. Rookies fail to do one or all of these.

Paintball is great because the balls hurt. Pain produces fear, and fear does three wonderful things:

1. Magnifies the imagination
2. Heightens the senses
3. Limits the ability to think logically

You can do superhuman things you can't do when you're not playing, and ALL your senses work better. Your memory also works better, you can remember firefights very clearly. If you've got a couple of buddies that are moving, shooting and communicating with you, you're pretty much an unstoppable force. Having the top equipment, full auto with lots of paint, paint grenades, and SMOKE helps a lot too. Smoke is my favorite thing, and it's so hard to find and so expensive I was always the only one with it. Got me a lot of street cred, if I'm using that term correctly. Can you tell I love paintball? Don't even get me started about the tanks!

https://picasaweb.google.com/dfwpro/AerialPhotos
Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #38
kansas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post

Paintball is great because the balls hurt.
What? No cup?

Tanks?

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #39
Dr Dave

No cup. I only wear the stupid mask because they make me; the goggles I do need. That said, I've seen guys shot in the 'cup' and not a one has played any more that day. No one even has the heart to laugh at them; you help them back to the staging area and they eat and drink free the rest of the day.

Yes, paintball has TANKS! They usually only show up at the big games, and run from really pathetic to awesomely cool. They're all great, though. The saddest but still cute one I've seen was a guy who built a box around himself. He'd pick it up and walk to the next position, then set it back down. Pretty funny.

The best tanks I've seen were at Oklahoma D-Day. It's the biggest paintball game there is, and people come from all over the world. We went for their 10th anniversary, and there were 12,000 people there. We were in the British paras (spent several hundred dollars on the exact right uniform, beret, custom patches etc), and we had the best tank. Underneath it was a pickup, but they'd had it for years, and it really looked like a WWII Cromwell, all metal, with a lot of detailing, and 12 soldiers could ride on it.

The cutest tanks were by some guy who'd made three little identical olive drab Shermans. They were either riding mowers or just the guts of a golf cart, but they were tiny and drove in formation, just adorable.

My field has one; it's a pickup unmodified, but in the back they've hooked up four full autos sucking off several cases of paint. It's like an American M3 halftrack with the quad .50s in the back. I don't have a picture of any of the tanks, so because this is a picture thread, will here post a picture of the girl I was with in the smoke picture. Way out of my league, but for some reason she really liked me. Her name is Dawn. I can't post the other pictures I have.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #40
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

Smile

Whoa, Dawn, how old are you? Let me see your driver's license.

Cool beans Dave. I had no idea paint ball was so involved.

Kids use to do that sort of thing with BB rifles without protective equipment hence the phrase "you will shoot your eye out".

You have more energy than I have. We definitely need pictures of the tanks.