Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #621
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default 1858

After several unsuccessful attempts, the first telegraph line across the Atlantic Ocean is completed, a feat accomplished largely through the efforts of American merchant Cyrus West Field.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #622
rman
Extraordinary Member

On this day in 1945, the United States becomes the first and only nation to use atomic weaponry during wartime when it drops an atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. Approximately 80,000 people are killed as a direct result of the blast, and another 35,000 are injured. At least another 60,000 would be dead by the end of the year from the effects of the fallout.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:09 AM   #623
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up

8/6/1986 - William J. Schroeder died. He lived 620 days with the Jarvik-7 manmade heart. He was the world's longest surviving recipient of a permanent artificial heart.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #624
J_B
Extraordinary Member

August 6, 1862 The C.S.S. Arkansas, the most feared Confederate ironclad on the Mississippi River, is blown up by her crew after suffering mechanical problems during a battle with the U.S.S. Essex near Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:07 PM   #625
Vetter
Banned

Talking

8/7/2003 - Stephen Geppi bought a 1963 G.I. Joe prototype for $200,000.

Maybe I wish I had played with dolls?
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:24 AM   #626
J_B
Extraordinary Member

On this day in 1782, in Newburgh, New York, General George Washington, the commander in chief of the Continental Army, creates the "Badge for Military Merit," a decoration consisting of a purple, heart-shaped piece of silk, edged with a narrow binding of silver, with the word Merit stitched across the face in silver.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #627
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Default August 7, 1912

Theodore Roosevelt is nominated for the presidency by the Progressive Party, a group of Republicans dissatisfied with the renomination of President William Howard Taft. Also known as the Bull Moose Party, the Progressive platform called for the direct election of U.S. senators, woman suffrage, reduction of the tariff, and many social reforms.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #628
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default 1959

From the Atlantic Missile Range in Cape Canaveral, Florida, the U.S. unmanned spacecraft Explorer 6 is launched into an orbit around the earth. The spacecraft, commonly known as the "Paddlewheel" satellite, featured a photocell scanner that transmitted a crude picture of the earth?s surface and cloud cover from a distance of 17,000 miles. The photo, received in Hawaii, took nearly 40 minutes to transmit.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #629
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Aug 8, 1875 Jermin Aguirre is killed near the San Augin Ranch in the New Mexico Territory.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #630
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default 1942

During World War II, six German saboteurs who secretly entered the United States on a mission to attack its civil infrastructure are executed by the United States for spying. Two other saboteurs who disclosed the plot to the FBI and aided U.S. authorities in their manhunt for their collaborators were imprisoned.

In 1942, under Nazi leader Adolf Hitler?s orders, the defense branch of the German Military Intelligence Corps initiated a program to infiltrate the United States and destroy industrial plants, bridges, railroads, waterworks, and Jewish-owned department stores.