Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
panther
Extraordinary Member

Default Good range day

Finally got out to the range yesterday. The Neos did good, it just has a different balance to it then my MkIII. Either one would get the job done.
I got to shoot a friend's Stoeger Cougar(clone of the Beretta Cougar), in 40S&W. It's a nice compact, accurate gun.
We tried to pick up our brass but only found about half of it. Weeds and flowers were blooming everywhere and honey bees were all over the place. I was surprised at how much steel cased empties I saw all over the place. Pistol and rifle shells were all over the place, but all steel. Can't blame people for trying to save a little cash on their plinking ammo though. The only brass I saw, other then my own, was .22's.
The local police dept's use this range too. Whenever they do, there's always lots of .40 and .223 brass all over the place, they never pick it up.
As the old saying goes, "Any day at the range is a good day".
Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Sounds like a fun day - glad the Neos is working out for you. I know what you mean about brass. It seems like I lose 4 or 5 out of every box. I'm about ready to go back to revolvers.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
panther
Extraordinary Member

I got out to the range with the 22's again. I bought a box of Winchester 555 and seemed to be hitting to the left an awful lot. I adjusted the sights, but never did feel like it was shooting as good as it could.
Someone left some .22 duds on the table. I was glad I had my MkIII with me. It fired everyone of them. I wouldn't try that in most other .22's, but a Ruger can shoot anything. Of course, I only try them if they're clean and look solid.
I wound up shooting about half the box of 555's before calling it a day.
I love Monday's at the range, I usually have it all to myself.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
kansas45

I have used Winchester 555 ammo in the past with fair results. They are ok for plinking & some short range hunting, but are not reliable enough for target work. For good, all around .22 ammo try a box of CCI Mini Mag HP. 36 gr 1260 fps.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

I have trouble with the 555s in my AR 22s, Colt M&P, Taurus 94 and the grandson's 10/22. I get a lot of failures to fire and failures to eject. For some reason, my Ruger Mark II shoots them OK. Of the cheap stuff, Federal Bulk seems to work best for me. If I want the best functioning in everything I use CCI Minimags. (Accuracy is better also)