Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
greener
Extraordinary Member

Default Ammo?

Fired 3 of my 4" .357's at 25 yards yesterday. The GP100 POI was all over the place with .38 specials and it took quite a bit of sight adjustments to get it into a 6" shoot'n'see. The S&W 686 was pretty consistent and about 2" low. The Model 65 grouped a bit better, either low or high depending on sight placement. I seemed to get better groups with .357 so I'm guessing that the GP100 didn't like the .38 special I've been loading for a long time.

I'd have tried shorter distances to check ammo, me, revolver, but the short distance range was closed for repairs. KC thought someone had shot the shed up, but it turns out a pistol exploded, putting 5 holes in the off and tearing the screen. Shooter was unharmed and didn't mention a problem when he signed out.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
Fired 3 of my 4" .357's at 25 yards yesterday. The GP100 POI was all over the place with .38 specials and it took quite a bit of sight adjustments to get it into a 6" shoot'n'see. The S&W 686 was pretty consistent and about 2" low. The Model 65 grouped a bit better, either low or high depending on sight placement. I seemed to get better groups with .357 so I'm guessing that the GP100 didn't like the .38 special I've been loading for a long time.

I'd have tried shorter distances to check ammo, me, revolver, but the short distance range was closed for repairs. KC thought someone had shot the shed up, but it turns out a pistol exploded, putting 5 holes in the off and tearing the screen. Shooter was unharmed and didn't mention a problem when he signed out.
Every gun seems to be different when it comes to the ammo it likes. I have a favorite load for my 45s that shoot pretty well in everything but my Ruger 1911. It flat doesn't like that load, but shoots well with factory loads. Looks like I need to spend a little time developing a load just for it.

Sounds like the shooter with the exploding pistol was lucky, but it sounds kind of unlikely
Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
kansas45

I find that each pistol likes a slightly different load. Very few of mine will shoot the same load as its copart.
The 1911's probably comes the closest. My two GP100's, one blue, one stainless, both with 6" barrels will not have the same results with the same ammo.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default .22 rimfire ammo

I had a clear plastic 10/22 magazine laying on the dash of my Ranger Pickup loaded. It was in the sunshine lots. When I put it in my 10/22 any of the primers wouldn't ignite. Does direct sunshine destroy rim-fire primers? That's the first time I have experienced it, but I usually don't leave them in the sunshine.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
kansas45

Sounds like it, Calvin.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
I had a clear plastic 10/22 magazine laying on the dash of my Ranger Pickup loaded. It was in the sunshine lots. When I put it in my 10/22 any of the primers wouldn't ignite. Does direct sunshine destroy rim-fire primers? That's the first time I have experienced it, but I usually don't leave them in the sunshine.
Could be Calvin - they would get super hot lying on the dashboard this time of year. (I do know that when your Mom accidentally throws one in the wood cook stove, they go off just fine! No damage to stove, but serious damage to Mom's mood. )
Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Could be Calvin - they would get super hot lying on the dashboard this time of year. (I do know that when your Mom accidentally throws one in the wood cook stove, they go off just fine! No damage to stove, but serious damage to Mom's mood. )
That's funny. Saturday we got the Grandsons some fireworks and let them shoot them at the Camper. We have a burn barrel, and after they shot them, we had them pick up all the trash, and put it in the burn barrel. Sunday afternoon, Sharon set it on fire. Someone (accidentally ?) put some fireworks in the barrel, and caused Sharon to have a run-a-away.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
greener
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
The light doesn't get through the brass, so maybe the primer was affected by the heat. The rounds probably got well above 120 sitting in the sunshine. That may have affected the ammo.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote