Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto

Old 05-21-2023, 06:47 AM   #1
panther
Extraordinary Member

Default Ruger Security 380

I'd heard alot of good reports on these new Rugers and thought it was something me and the wife could both use. I found one traded in at a local shop, the price was right so, I picked it up.
Yesterday was my first chance to get to the range with it. It didnt go as planned.
The first round from the first mag jammed. It didn't feed it into the chamber right. This became a recurring issue with the gun. When i could get a round to feed, after 2 or 3 more it would jam again. Always a low feed. Once or twice I could tap the back of the slide and it would go in, most of the time I had to drop the mag and extract the round.
I've already sent a message to Rugers customer service about it. They have the best service in the business, I'm sure they'll take care of this.
On the plus side, when it did shoot, it was easy to rack, recoil was very light. There's great potential here, it just needs to be reliable.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:44 AM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

That's too bad your new-to-you pistol doesn't work right. Don't you have a Security 9 also? You're right - Ruger has the best CS in the business. They'll get it fixed and their turn-around is pretty quick too. Good luck. Keep us posted on Ruger's response please.

Last edited by rman; 05-22-2023 at 07:04 AM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:54 AM   #3
panther
Extraordinary Member

I took the pistol back to the range yesterday. I had 4 different brands of ammo and both mags.
The 15rd mag still had some feeding issues. The 10rd mag was better, but it still jammed on feeding twice with different ammo. That's the only issue but it's a jam that requires you to pull the mag and get the stuck round out. That wouldn't work well if you were carrying this for self defense.
I think this one will go back to the mother ship for a check up.
I do have a Security 9 and it was flawless right out of the box. That's what I'm used to with Rugers. This will be a good gun for Judy, it racks easy and has very light recoil. The capacity is nice too. I just got to get it working.
Old 05-24-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good luck with the Security .380 panther. If both magazines are giving you fits, it's definitely time for Ruger to have a look at it. They might even send you a brand new one. They are usually really good at taking care of their customers. I was thinking you had a Security Nine and that you were pretty happy with it. The .380 should make your wife a nice gun. It's small enough to carry, but big enough to be a mild shooter. They have good sights too for us vision challenged old guys. If it racks easy, that's a plus. They are sure nice looking little guns.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:53 PM   #5
dowop

Hope the factory takes care of it panther. I have never even seen one. It does sound a nice gun.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:51 PM   #6
panther
Extraordinary Member

Ruger wants to send me 2 new mags to try out. They will be here in 5-7 days. I have to send my old mags back to them.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:50 PM   #7
dowop

Might be worth a try panther.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:57 AM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

I hope that works out for you. Usually, the first thing I would think of is the magazine, but both of them?
Old 07-18-2023, 04:26 PM   #9
panther
Extraordinary Member

I never followed up on this before. Sorry
The 2 new mags did seem better. I couldn't tell any difference in them, unless the springs were very different.
I still didn't feel real confident in it and a guy I know offered to buy it off me. I let it go, and got myself a nice used SR9 recently. Judy has her Bersa, the SR9 is mine. I found it a little cheaper than the Security380 and it's a better caliber.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:51 PM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

Sorry you're Security .380 didn't work out. I'm sure you will be a lot happer with that SR9. I still say they have the best trigger for a striker-fired pistol that I've seen. Now if it cools off, we're going to need a range report on it.