Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Local Natural Disaster

Local Natural Disaster Discuss ways to prepare for a Local Natural Disaster. Storms, Fire, Ice and Ect.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
caneman

Default Listened to an Audio Book

Earlier I had heard of a book for young teens titled "Hatchet. I ordered it from our State travelling library service and what they sent was the audio version instead of a printed copy.

Saturday morning while doing breakfast we started the book and found it to be something we could have recommended to our grandkids if they weren't all grown up. It's only a 3 disc book so I'm guessing the printed version is probably un the 250-300 page range.

The story is about a 13 year old boy who is going from mother to father in the north country for the summer (divorced parents). The pilot has a heart attack and the boy survives the crash landing. Since the plane crashes into a lake, the only thing the boy salvages are useless things in his pockets and a hatchet which was a going away present from his mother which is on his belt.

A bit of a stretch at times but in trying to keep things simple it works out pretty well in the story line. Kids would really like it.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
kansas45

Interesting caneman. I've often thought of trying audio book, but I never seem to get around to it.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Glenn
Extraordinary Member

Sounds like a plan except I have a problem that whenever I pick up a book to engage in reading, something triggers a crank in my head to start rolling down my eyelids....It's well known and sort of a family joke that to put dad to sleep, give him a book !
So might be an audio book can eliminate that problem ?

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
Thomas Jefferson

Guns have only two enemies, Rust and LIBERALS
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
rman
Extraordinary Member

That's pretty neat caneman. I've never tried an audio book either.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I've got the Old and New Testaments in Audio. They are in modern language, and the narrator is smooth speaking and good. I've had them a long time, and when I have trouble sleeping at night, all I have to do, is turn on the player. It is the best medicine I've found for insomnia.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
I've got the Old and New Testaments in Audio. They are in modern language, and the narrator is smooth speaking and good. I've had them a long time, and when I have trouble sleeping at night, all I have to do, is turn on the player. It is the best medicine I've found for insomnia.
Calvin that reminds me of a story. When I was a kid, my Dad and I went to church early every Sunday. I went to Sunday School and he collected all the offerings from Sunday School, counted them and turned them in. After Sunday School, we both went to church services. One morning as we were coming out of the church, the minister greeted us at the door. He said, "You know Roy, I believe you are the best Christian in my church. I know for sure that you never have a guilty conscience because you're the only one who can sleep through every one of my sermons, no matter how much fire and brimstone I preach!"

Regardless of his sleeping during church, my Dad was truly a devout Christian and the finest man I ever met. God rest his soul.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
kansas45

Nice story rman.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
caneman

Sometimes I use my computer disc drive to listen to books. I just ordered Atlas Shrugged from the library. I never felt I wanted to tackle a 1200 page book but I'll give it a listen.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneman View Post
Sometimes I use my computer disc drive to listen to books. I just ordered Atlas Shrugged from the library. I never felt I wanted to tackle a 1200 page book but I'll give it a listen.
I use to listen to audio books when I traveled more, not so much anymore.

If you haven't read or listened to Atlas Shrugged yet here's a link to Francisco's Money Speech to wet you appetite:

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/ec...ey-Speech.html

Should be required reading in all schools.
Benvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
caneman

I finished "Atlas Shrugged". That's one scary book. It appears they've settled on using parts of it to destroy the economic systen of the U.S. She was truly prophetic in many respects.