Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Recommendations > Things you would Recommend for others.

Things you would Recommend for others. Things you have tried, and would recommend to others.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
Mrs. Jefferson Davis

Default Grandma-and-grandpa's ways...

Most of us do a few things which save money, or are healthier, or just "work better" due to our grandparents or great-grandparents.

I'm always interested in the way folks did things before newfangled contraptions and fancy products were put in stores.

I use baking soda for tooth powder. Saves money and doesn't have all the poisonous stuff that toothpaste does. Doesn't have that slick, slippery ickiness that toothpaste does.

Anyone else have an old-fashioned way of doing something?
Mrs. Jefferson Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

One thing that I have found in myself that I saw in my ancestors is the ability to not let things bother you that you can't change and try to look at the bright side of things. I have found that the reason children love to be with their grandparents is that they aren't as serious about everything as their parent's are. The Grandparents have learned the lesson of the Apostle Paul, "being content in whatever situation you're in". Another thing I learned from a Uncle when I was a child that has helped me a lot is to improvise or substitute. Most anything can be improvised or substituted, if the original is not available.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Never get too old to learn new lessons. Saturday I worked at the Hardware Store. We had a hard blowing rain and the water was running under the overhead door, that they use for Freight, and I couldn't mop it up fast enough. I called the owner and ask her what to do. She said its easy. Just put the big fan thats next to the door behind the door and plug it in and blow the water back outside. It worked.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
Never get too old to learn new lessons. Saturday I worked at the Hardware Store. We had a hard blowing rain and the water was running under the overhead door, that they use for Freight, and I couldn't mop it up fast enough. I called the owner and ask her what to do. She said its easy. Just put the big fan thats next to the door behind the door and plug it in and blow the water back outside. It worked.
Ever notice that the older we get, the harder it is to see the answer when it's right in front of our faces? (No comment is necessary Kansas!)
Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
kansas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Ever notice that the older we get, the harder it is to see the answer when it's right in front of our faces? (No comment is necessary Kansas!)
I'm trying to hold back rman. It's getting harder & harder though!

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Was at the Ranch and the dog brought up a Deers front leg bone. 10 yr old Grandson took out his favorite hunting knife and started hacking on it like you would with a Axe. I told him not to hack on it or he would ruin his knife. He ignored me and kept hitting it. After a couple of minutes I told him to look at the edge on his knife. He had a bunch of chips broke out of the edge of the blade. He got mad and said "you didn't tell me it would break the knife". I ask him why he thought I told him not to hack on it or he would ruin his knife. I also ask him why Indians used Deer bone to chip off the flint to make arrow heads. Another lesson that had to be learned the hard way, when listening would have been a lot easier.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
rman
Extraordinary Member

When I was 17 I was smarter than a whip and my Dad just didn't have a clue. When I reached my late twenties, something really weird happened - my Dad got a whole lot smarter and I got a whole lot dumber!