Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
Vetter
Banned

Exclamation Facebook posts end in a shooting...

A Florida man responded to a post about President Donald Trump. His response wasn't about Trump, it was about felon voting rights. And that's when the squabble between the two forty something men exploded into a flurry of private messages and took an ugly turn.

The argument escalated into threats and taunts of fighting, police said, and ended in a shooting that left one of the men wounded.

The victim has been released from the hospital, but it underscores how passionate social media interactions can have real-world consequences.

Tampa Police say 44-year-old Brian Sebring faces felony charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and carrying a concealed gun. Sebring told the Tampa Bay Times he "just snapped and let primal rage take over" when he left work early on Monday, went home to get his gun and headed to the home of 46-year-old Alex Stephens.

According to Sebring, a registered Democrat, he responded to post on Facebook by a felon who said he wanted to share his political opinions even though he'd lost his right to vote.

In Florida, as many as 1.5 million former prisoners aren't allowed to vote due to a ban in the state constitution. But the state's voters will decide in November whether to alter the current ban, which is also the subject on an ongoing federal lawsuit.

If 60 percent of voters approve the constitutional amendment, most convicted felons no longer in prison would have their rights automatically restored. Many Democratic politicians are in favor of revising the state's ban, while top Republicans such as Gov. Rick Scott have defended the current system, saying ex-prisoners should have to wait and prove they deserve to have their rights restored.

Sebring told the newspaper that he wrote on the Facebook threat that if someone wants to voice an opinion, "don't do criminal activity, don't get caught, be a productive member of society."
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Well it looks like the Dems are trolling for more votes again. Felons have chosen to break our laws. Why should they be allowed to vote for people who write the laws?

A lot evil originates on social media. I guess that is why I have avoided it. This and other forums are as close as I get.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
Vetter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Well it looks like the Dems are trolling for more votes again. Felons have chosen to break our laws. Why should they be allowed to vote for people who write the laws?

A lot evil originates on social media. I guess that is why I have avoided it. This and other forums are as close as I get.
I agree, this is the most stupid law change I could ever imagine. Give felons their rights back, they knew when they were caught what they would lose and they choose to do the evil deed anyway!
I do Facebook but not as much as I used to. I do avoid arguments, not hard to find you if some nut case decides they want to stalk you.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote