Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #2191
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Rman, it doesn't pay to pay 7% on a car loan when my savings are paying 1.5%. I only financed the difference between our trades and the new one because of the $1000. promise for using Nissan finance. I never got it on paper but I did get the check. That outfit are some crooks and I suppose most are. Anyway it should be all ours now. I hate paying more interest than we can earn. Rman, we are nowhere near "rich" but have managed to save a little, if we pass soon it'll be enough. I'm going to start therapy again for my walking. I'm looking forward to it. Sounds like your eye surgery was the same as Wifey's. She had zero pain with the first one and tomorrow doesn't scare her at all. The guy took the cataract outta mine and put a lens in. Two weeks later he laser busted up the lens because something wasn't right. Couple months I go back, don't want the same surgeon, I can't see good at all since he did his deal. Hoping for better results this time around. Well, I gotta hit the hay everybody sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!
Old 11-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #2192
dowop

Good Morning.
The girls are sleeping in the back so I will make fresh coffee,of course it will probably be stale when you normal people get here.
Been thinking about changing my schedule.
Worked at a GM Plant for 34 yrs,then went to work for a local school system for 11 yrs.I maintained a fairly normal schedule when I was working.Retired 7 yrs ago & I ended up with kinda like a midnight turn routine.The big plus is Walmart isn`t crowded & there is always room under a bridge(.
It is supposed to get cold here in a couple of days so I am headed over to the creek to see if I can harvest some mud-puppies for you guys.Might even get one mounted for the coffee shop(:|.
Have a good day everyone.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:31 AM   #2193
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good morning. Dowop you're right. The coffee is pretty old and pretty strong today. The girls are still snoring in the back, so I started another pot. I need my caffeine fix in the morning. Know what you mean about Walmart. I hit ours about 5:00 yesterday and there were more people stocking shelves than there were customers - just the way I like it. My days and nights were more mixed up when I worked than after I retired. I worked for the Army for 11 years and worked all 3 shifts. We changed shifts every 2 weeks. About the time you got used to one shift, it was time to change. After that I was a LEO and spent most of my time working the "hoot owl" shift - 11:00 pm to 7:00 am. Then it was on to days at the railroad and 2nd shift at the State for about 8 years. The railroad bought my seniority and I changed to days at the state for another 20. I'm kind of enjoying this retirement stuff.

Wow Vetter! I guess interest rates have really gone up. The last 4 vehicles we financed were at 2.75 to 2.9%. We always pay extra each month on the principal, so we don't really pay that much in interest. It's been a long, hard battle to build up our savings, and I hesitate to take any out unless it's an emergency. I guess my fiscal plan is like the government's - not very sound.

Our weather is supposed to get cold here about Thursday. In fact, the weather dummies are using that four letter "S" word in Thursday's forecast.

If you haven't already, don't forget to vote today!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #2194
panther
Extraordinary Member

God morning guys. The girls are finally up and cooking some really good bacon and eggs. The coffee is hot and fresh and the sun is shining.
I went and voted about 7am this morning. I was #66 in the ballot box. I think this is going to be a busy voting day.
That cold front is supposed to hit us on Thursday too. I don't think they are predicting snow here yet, but that may change. The morning temps will be near freezing.
You retired guys with all your savings, you sound like you planned well. I'm still working, but at a state university now where I have money going into a state retirement fund. It's a better deal I had when I worked for a private school, and I hope to keep working as long as I can to build it up. Then I'll be one of those guys at the front door of Walmart, greeting people and giving out stickers to the kids and the pretty moms.
If you haven't already, go vote. If you don't like the choices you have, feel free to write my name in.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #2195
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Howdy. Kinda quiet around here. The wife is an election judge so she's gone for the day. I went up a hour ago and voted, now I'm setting here watching GUNSMOKE. The sun is trying to shine and the wind is supposed to lay some this afternoon. If it does, I'll get a ride in.

Later.

Life is good.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #2196
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good afternoon. I thought the polls opened at 6:00 this morning. Silly me - not until 7:00. I got there a half hour early. We have a new coffee house in Meriden, so I drove over there and had coffee. While I was waiting, the Missus called from work and said the driver information center in the Impala informed her that the right rear tire was low and needed air added. Great! We've had tire trouble on that car every since I replaced the factory original tires. I should know better than to buy tires at Walmart. I didn't buy cheapies - they were Goodyears, but we've had lots of problems with them. Don't know if they are factory seconds or what. The right front just flat blew out. They replaced that one. The left front supposedly had some kind of damage to the sidewall that couldn't be fixed. I replaced that one. The missus hit a piece of metal in the highway with the right rear. She couldn't really avoid it because a car was passing her on the left. That blew out the tire and ruined the wheel and I had to replace both. I had neglected to pay for the road hazard warranty. Anyway, I was sick of the tires. Between the flats, road noise and poor handling, I'd had enough. At 7:00 I drove over to the polling place and voted. Then I drove to Topeka to the parking lot where she parks. The right rear was low, but not dangerously. I swapped vehicles in the parking lot and headed for Discount Tire in Lawrence. Had them install a new set of Michelin Defender T&H tires. They are the same ones that I put on the Equinox awhile back and I really like them. The car drives better than it has since it was new. Happy Birthday Sharon! (It's coming up the 22nd of this month.)

Panther I really didn't plan too well for retirement. I have some money in savings, but it's probably only enough to pay all the bills for about 5 months if something happened to Social Security. I retired from the State of Kansas and paid into the Kansas Public Employee Retirement System (KPERS), so I get a retirement check from them which is almost equal to my S.S. check. I also paid into a deferred tax retirement annuity the last 20 years I worked, so I get a small income from that every month. My wife also gets S.S. and KPERS, so we get by OK, but we're sure not rolling in the cash.

Teddybear, now that all my road running is over, I'm probably going to take in a little Gunsmoke too. (Although I think I have seen every episode 3 or 4 times.)
Old 11-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #2197
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up

Good Morning gang! Cup of rman "fresh" brew Molly please. Thanks for making the old stuff dowop. Don't bother me, when Wifey goes up north I make a full 12 cup pot and just nuke the leftover the next day and I have stretched it out to 3 days a few times. Aged but tastes fine to me. I always worked day shift, I'm no night owl. Rman, nothing beats retirement! The closer that ripped us off just put that rate on the paper work, we should have got a much better rate, we owe nothing, no credit card balance, everything is auto pay in full on due date. Anyway we owed them $14,270 and now we don't. Sure glad that deal's over. We lost a little but I still feel like David beat Goliath! Panther, we started snow birding when we were 29, worked like a dog 7 months and took a 5 month vacation in Key West. First day there I met the nicest guy you could ever imagine. After about 1/2 hour conversation and maybe 2 Manhattans he asked me what are you doing for your future, he was, not a branch but executive VP of Chase, I told him, nothing. I showed the way to save and take full advantage of putting the most of our pay that was allowed to max out employers contributions. We started saving at that point. We didn't end up with great wealth but for only working 7 months a year for 21 years we did pretty good thanks to "John the Banker!" I picked Wifey up and she is fine, just a followup next week and she is done. I ordered and picked up 2 Pizza's with each of our favorite toppings. It'll be late lunch and snack later. Have a great day, what's left of it and happy hour is on me today!
Old 11-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #2198
greener
Extraordinary Member

Just stopping by after getting back from the coast. Lot going on, I see.

I had a great time on the trip. 4 cousins and a cousin-in-law. Age range 68-71. At least 3 replaced knees, two heart attacks, two cancers, diabetes and a basket full of aches and pains. Lot's to talk about.

Fishing was fair. Everyone caught fish, but not a lot and not really big ones. I won the big fish pot. The ferry trip is in the same area we went duck hunting. The only thing Florence left of the duck blinds are posts. We got flybys from lots of ducks doing the nananana you aren't shooting us routine. We started fishing at 8AM and closed down, completely worn out and time to do what we do best, eat.

Morehead City got slammed by Florence and Michael. But not as bad as Florida. Cousin-in-law's beach house is gutted with a tarp on the roof. He is waiting to find contractors. Only about a third of the hotels were open and the less expensive ones were filled. We had a scramble when one of the better priced ones turned out to put is in 2 smoking rooms and didn't have non-smoking rooms. Found a Hampton at twice the price. Restaurant choice was not a good as it could be, but we managed no to starve.

I drove over 600 miles in three days, including up and down the beach.

Found a leak in the rear of the pickup cab (rear window?). Wouldn't have known it if we hadn't had 3 in the truck. Lost a lens in my glasses. Need to figure out where my old ones are.

Enjoyed the talk about retirement. I was lucky. IRA's and 401k's turned out well and my small company retirement check and my military retirement check come in handy. Best deal was being eligible for military retirement. House is paid for and I really don't need to replace the cars, so most of my SS check goes to savings and I really don't need the RMD's from IRA and 401k. I don't need to replace cars and the house is paid for, so my expenses aren't high.

Y'all have a great day, I'm off looking for glasses that let me see without making it dark and have two lens.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #2199
J_B
Extraordinary Member

I went into pay on my Ruger SP101 2.25" 38 Spl +P that I had on layaway.... well under the glass counter, they had a Ruger GP100 6" .357 Magnum. I told the guy, who has known me for a long time... I wished this was here when I put that SP101 on layaway. He said, you can swap and apply all you've paid to the GP100...

Now this is something I have really been wanting. 😀
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Ruger GP100.jpg (61.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:00 AM   #2200
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good morning. Looks like we have some sleepy heads this morning. Molly I'd like an order of biscuits & gravy, a side of bacon, glass of V-8 and a steaming hot cup of coffee please.

J_B that's a nice looking revolver. I've never owned a GP100, but I think I should.

Greener it sounds like the fishing trip was fun, if not overly productive.

It's cold here this morning, but tomorrow will be worse. The weather experts are predicting up to an inch of snow tomorrow. Guess it's no big deal. We had that much in early October.