Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Local Natural Disaster

Local Natural Disaster Discuss ways to prepare for a Local Natural Disaster. Storms, Fire, Ice and Ect.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
caneman

Default Ever needed your emergency gear?

Have you needed your emergency tools (Besides changing a tire) on the road?

Over the years I've needed a bow saw (3 episodes), (In the trunk of cars or behind the pickup seat), a rope to tie limb to bumper and pull out of the road, and a camp ax to remove some limbs the saw wouldn?t reach. Besides that, the only things I can think of with usage are the first aid kit (4"X6"X1 1/2" ) metal candy box and flashlights on several occasions and a crescent wrench a few times.

While I count them as everyday items to take along, and not emergency, I often use the canteen of water, knife, some granola bars and in the past when we travelled more, a package or two of noodle soup and teabags in the motel in the evening. Those were for the convenience of not going out to eat, not emergency.

I?ve written before about the get me home bag I always carry, but I?ve not met the emergency where I needed it. It?s like an insurance policy I hope I'll never need but will always keep with me.

I do wish my small pickup had the king-cab so I didn't have to carry the fanny pack get me home bag, and canteen on the seat with us, but otherwise we get along pretty well. The absolute worst thing about a conventional cab small pickup is wrapping your duffle in a plastic bag for weather protection when going to see the kids and throwing them in the passenger compartment any time you stop for a meal.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Nothing other than wrenches, screwdrivers and a battery terminal cleaning kit. I've had to clean the terminals a few times and replaced a fan belt and radiator hose on the road once. I think that is the whole idea of carrying an emergency kit - if you're prepared, nothing ever happens!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
kansas45

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I have a fairly complete set or wrenches and sockets in a set that I carry behind the seat on my Ranger Pickup. I also carry a Lariat Rope and Tow Strap. Also a Bow Saw. Also pliers and wire cutters in the door pockets. I've used them a number of times. Used the Bow saw to cut a tree where a yearling had its head between two trees that grew in a v and couldn't get out. I have always kept food and water on hand, in case I couldn't get any right away. When I'm traveling in the wintertime I take enough clothing that I could survive if my vehicle became disabled. I am a firm believer in the Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
kansas45

I carry a few tools, a pair of fencing pliers, tow strap, shovel, gloves, warm coverals when necessary & a bottle of medicine.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post
I carry a few tools, a pair of fencing pliers, tow strap, shovel, gloves, warm coverals when necessary & a bottle of medicine.
Trust him - he's a doctor!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Reggie

I carry a few tools,some jumper cables. I carry extra fuses,bulbs, duct tape , and matches. And my AAA card
Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
French G.

I've about worn out the Glock shovel that travels with me, need one for every vehicle.
French G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
chris1234
Extraordinary Member

Send a message via Yahoo to chris1234

we carry extra socket sets and water and jump leeds and because i have a bad back we just call the break down service out(loved
to mend and fix cars and motor bikes years ago, its a challenge)
chris