Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Trucks

Trucks Place to discuss that favorite Truck.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Ford Ranger

Calvin I know you like Rangers a lot. My nephew inherited a 1999 Ford Ranger extended cab 4WD pickup when his Father-in-law passed. He's already got a nice Chevy PU and would like to sell it. I saw it today, but didn't have a chance to hear it run or drive it. It was sitting at my SIL's place down the road from me It looks like new on the outside. My nephew says it has all the bells and whistles. It has 116K miles on it, which is low miles for a 99. It's a fancy truck so I'm guessing it's a V6 with an automatic. I didn't get to talk directly to him today because he was at work. I'm getting my info thru my SIL. She thought he wanted around 5K for it. If it is in as good of shape as it looks, do you think it's worth it?

Last edited by rman; 05-18-2021 at 09:33 PM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

I got a better look at the Ranger today. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles like I thought. It has the little extended cab with cloth buckets in front and flip-up jumper seats in the rear. It has the narrow bed with fenders and a bed liner. (Chevy called them Step Sides. Not sure what Ford calls them.) It has a receiver hitch on it. It doesn't have power seats or windows. It is a 4WD with an automatic transmission and a 3.0L V-6 engine. The engine compartment is immaculate - no oil leaks, dust, grime, etc.. It started right up and sounds good - no rattles, leaky valves, etc.. The tires all look OK - they probably have at least half of the original tread. I didn't drive it because my nephew wasn't there. His Mom said it would probably be at least 30 days before he has the title. There was no lien on it, but it was an inheritance. The DMV works slowly. If I can get it for 5K, I will probably buy it.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:59 AM   #3
panther
Extraordinary Member

That would be a fair price for one around here. As much as Judy wanted a Jeep, if we had found one like that, with those miles and the 4wd, she would have been happy with it. Her dad and her uncle both had Rangers in the past and had good luck with them.
My Taurus had the 3.0 engine. In a front wheel drive car it could get 22-25mpg, city driving.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:31 AM   #4
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Sharon has a Taurus, with the 3.0 engine, and gets good gas mileage. My previous Ranger had the same engine with good gas mileage. The one I now have, has the 4.0 engine, and don't get as good gas mileage. I'm curious to see if the new Rangers will be as good as the old ones. If like most new products, they wont.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
I'm curious to see if the new Rangers will be as good as the old ones. If like most new products, they wont.
You're probably right Calvin.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
That would be a fair price for one around here. As much as Judy wanted a Jeep, if we had found one like that, with those miles and the 4wd, she would have been happy with it. Her dad and her uncle both had Rangers in the past and had good luck with them.
My Taurus had the 3.0 engine. In a front wheel drive car it could get 22-25mpg, city driving.
Thanks for the info panther.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:45 AM   #7
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Did you get the Ranger? It's beginning to sound like the best buy of the year.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:08 PM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

I did Calvin. I paid 5K for it. I thought it had the 3.0 Liter engine, but found out it has the 4.0 Liter with the 5 speed automatic. It has 116K for mileage, looks like new inside and almost new on the outside. I'm beginning to think I got a pretty good deal.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:53 AM   #9
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I think you'll like it, and the price you paid for it. I used mine to pull Jakes tractor out of a ditch just recently. I frequently have to lock the hubs in, when in hog country. A tip a friend gave me, was to occasionally to use the 4 wheel drive, to keep it working good. Mine is the best truck I've ever had, for the purposes I use it for.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
I think you'll like it, and the price you paid for it. I used mine to pull Jakes tractor out of a ditch just recently. I frequently have to lock the hubs in, when in hog country. A tip a friend gave me, was to occasionally to use the 4 wheel drive, to keep it working good. Mine is the best truck I've ever had, for the purposes I use it for.
Sounds good Calvin. I haven't driven it much yet, but like it so far. They seem to be nice little trucks. I've had 2 4WD trucks before, both old Toyotas. One was a 76 and the other was an 84. The Ranger is much nicer to drive and rides better.