Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:56 AM   #1
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Default When public ranges become unsafe

Where I was going to shoot yesterday, is a public range on US Forestry land. It's an old gravel pit, with several berms at different distances. Well when my son and I approached the area driving, we got close... and what we saw was plainly a circus of unsafe dangerous shooting going on.

The US Forest Service has put boulders for people to park by, and not drive down into the gravel pit area... but we found people parked there.. one shooter was out where he was actually suppose to be shooting in front of the boulders not from behind them, in the traffic flow area of the road.

Not far from him, was another shooter, who set up his shooting table in the road, shooting over the boulders putting the first shooter beyond his barrels direction.

Just down a bit further, there where shooters from pick up truck beds, in between vehicles parked along the road etc... I think you get the picture. My son and I decided we were not sticking around for this fiasco to get worse.

We drove on ahead quite a ways to get away from what was going on. So on the way back, I decided to take a photo with my camera that has reach with it's all in one lens. Everyone is suppose to be beyond the boulders out in the gravel pit area, not shooting from where you see in the photo.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Range safety should always be the top priority at any range. Unfortunately, if there isn't a range master to keep shooters in line, rules get broken. It is everyone's responsibility to make sure that they and other shooters use their common sense. I don't blame you for driving on by J_B. If you had been there first, you could have given some guidance as others arrived. It's not likely anyone would have listened at that stage of the game. Better to be safe than sorry.