Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Food

Food Ways to cut food costs.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
chris1234
Extraordinary Member

Send a message via Yahoo to chris1234
Default Shopping Habbits

I just wondered if you shopped at your local store, go to 24 hr supermarket and how many times a week do you shop for food items.

We shop once a week at Asda(wallmart) and shop at local shops every other day at home and at holiday home once to twice a week at Asda.
Our local shops are 400m away to 2 miles were as Asda is 7 miles away.
Sometimes we get Asda to delivery shopping for about average ?3.

Were do you shop, how often and how far do you travel.

Just wondering to see if people cut costs on travel and food.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
panther
Extraordinary Member

I have 2 stores I tend to go to, one is a Walmart that is open 24hrs a day, the other is a Dillon's(part of the Kroger chain). Dillon's has better meat and produce, Walmart beats everyone's prices on canned and boxed foods, paper goods, pharmacies, soap, etc.
I'm the world's worst shopper when I'm at one of these stores because I shop by ingredients I need for a meal. So, instead of going from aisle 1 to aisle 2, like I see other people do, I shop by meal items, which means I jump around aisle to aisle until I have everything I need for today's meal, then start looking for the stuff for tomorrow. I tend to pass the same people 4 or 5 times in the same aisle.
I'm sure they think I'm lost, and they may be right.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Sharon works in Poteau, so she stops at Price Cutter, or Wally World when she needs something. No extra driving that way. If I need something, there's an IGA Store across the Highway from my Office, so I get it there. We don't do any extra driving shopping, but I make up for it going to the Doctor.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

We shop locally at the IGA (5 blocks) and Country Salvage (2 1/2 miles) There's also a mom n pop meat market (7 blocks) here that has the best meats in the county.

Don't have to drive very far.

Don't go to Wally World (15 miles) unless I absolutly have to. Can't stand the place.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

We pass right by Wally World on our way home from work every day. We probably stop in once a week for most of our miscellaneous items and food needs except meat. There is a little country market about 6 miles from our house and they have the best beef and pork around. Their meat prices are competitive with everyone else. Just about every other item in the store is expensive though. If we just need a few items, I go there because I'd rather spend my money at the local market than at the gas pump. We live 20 miles from the big stores.

Last edited by rman; 12-09-2010 at 06:35 AM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
kansas45

I shop for groceries mostly at Dillons. It's seven blocks from my house. I do buy some food items at the Wal Mart Super Store, but not too much. Terry buys most of the food at the Wal Mart. We buy a lot of our meat at the local meat shop. Those folks butcher their own Angus beef & do a really good job.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Chortdraw
Extraordinary Member

We are within 4 miles of everything we could need. Grocery's are less than 1 mile to Frys. Most places I can get to on my bike. We have a small lake (about a mile long) right across the street, sort of a city scape? Has beautiful granite rocks on the banks of the lake. Area is called the Granite Dells. The area looks out of place from the surrounding area. Watched a bald eagle doing some fishing or "ducking" on the lake today.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortdraw View Post
We are within 4 miles of everything we could need. Grocery's are less than 1 mile to Frys. Most places I can get to on my bike. We have a small lake (about a mile long) right across the street, sort of a city scape? Has beautiful granite rocks on the banks of the lake. Area is called the Granite Dells. The area looks out of place from the surrounding area. Watched a bald eagle doing some fishing or "ducking" on the lake today.
Sounds like a great place to live Chortdraw! You live in Prescott don't you? If so, I should have looked you up last Christmas. We spent one night in Prescott on the way home from California because the Interstate was closed for a while due to accidents and snow.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
kansas45

One of the coolest things to watch is when a Eagle dives down to the water & pickes up a fish then flies high into the sky & drops the fish. Then, another Eagle catches that fish before it hits the water again. I think it's is a mating thing of somekind.
Whatever it is, Eagles are beautiful birds.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post
One of the coolest things to watch is when a Eagle dives down to the water & pickes up a fish then flies high into the sky & drops the fish. Then, another Eagle catches that fish before it hits the water again. I think it's is a mating thing of somekind.
Whatever it is, Eagles are beautiful birds.
How true! I drive across Perry Lake twice every working day. Sometimes I'm fortunate enough to see one fishing the lake. Sometimes when I stand on my deck I see them soaring overhead. It's easy to see why our country chose them to be our symbol of freedom.