Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms

Firearms A place to Discuss different Firearms

Old 05-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
GunGuyNJ

Default Appleseed shoot.

Has anyone attended an Appleseed shoot?
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
They teach rifle marksmanship and the history of the American Revolution. I haven?t been able to attend due to heath reasons. My wife and I have built LTR?s (Liberty Training Rifles). I hope to be ready this fall to attend one.
I have photos of our LTR's at my blog
http://gunguynj.blogspot.com/2011/03...2-is-back.html
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Never attended one, but I like your rifles! I'm thinking maybe Kansas45 attended one awhile back.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunGuyNJ View Post
Has anyone attended an Appleseed shoot?
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
They teach rifle marksmanship and the history of the American Revolution. I haven?t been able to attend due to heath reasons. My wife and I have built LTR?s (Liberty Training Rifles). I hope to be ready this fall to attend one.
I have photos of our LTR's at my blog
http://gunguynj.blogspot.com/2011/03...2-is-back.html
I THINK I saw sling swivel bases on both rifles. Do you have the 1 1/4" swivels needed and USGI M1 cloth (cotton web or nylon web) or good M1907 slings or GOOD copies of same to use with them? They teach you how to USE the loop sling as a shooting aid, not just as a carry strap.

You might also want to look into larger mags, mostly for the better handling for quick changes versus the factory flush fit mags.

I have not shot in an Appleseed but I have been to observe two of them so far.

I have a few points where I don't agree with them. For one, most of the revolution was fought with MUSKETS which are smoothbore, NOT rifles. Musket armed troops were never really taught to aim, just point in the general direction. Just some points like that.

On the other hand, I think is is great training for many people.

BTW, what they are actually shooting is a WW II version of the Army Qualification Course, which was developed from the National Match Course of that era. The course has just been reduced to 25 meters via reduced targets instead of taking 500 yards to stage it.

I have not shot in one as I can't do the positions any longer. A replaced hip cuts out sitting and a broken leg eliminates the kneeling. The way the weather has been acting lately I can't get up and down for prone, either. I can't shoot all day for two days all offhand.

If they have stayed according to the previous years, your wife will shoot free, as will any kid with you under 18. Active duty (recent activity, whether RA, AR or ARNG, all count) shoot free, and I think cops in some places too.

I predict you will have fun if they don't wear you down too fast.

Buckshot

Last edited by Buckshot; 05-21-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
GunGuyNJ

We have the slings but I just did not put them on yet. In New Jersey we are limited to 15 round mags so 10 rounds it is as I have never seen a 15 round 10/22 mag.

The thing that is keeping me from going is my feet and knees have issues. I don't think I can handle two days of position changes. Once my feet heal I am going to start stretching and working out so I can complete the course.

They charge 10 bucks for the wife now, but still a bargain for two days of training. She is kind of new to shooting so she should learn a lot.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
kansas45

I liked the Appleseed course to be worthwhile. I shot it with a bolt action Savage MKII F. Kinda' tough to keep up compared to a semi auto but doable. I had a great time & learned alot.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post
I liked the Appleseed course to be worthwhile. I shot it with a bolt action Savage MKII F. Kinda' tough to keep up compared to a semi auto but doable. I had a great time & learned alot.
kansas45,

I like the Savage Mk. IIs. we use them for our Jr. Smallbore club. We bought one Mk. I GY (actually an order mistake, wanted a Mk. II, but kept what we got) and a Mk. II GY. (G means hardwood stock, Y means youth length). We put good sights (Redfields, Olympic Smallbore Front, 75 rear). We were going to do this a second time so I put in for two Mk II FVT (F - Composite Stock, V - heavy bull barrel, T - Target sights) to get the money right, but they sent rifles instead of money as the grant. So I ended up talking with Savage and getting two of the Mk. II GY youth wood stocks and fit the target barreled action and sights from the Mk II FVTs into the Mk. II GY wood stocks.

The Accu-Trigger is nice, I think it feels like a 2 stage military trigger as on a Garand or Springfield.

If you really want to do good on the bolt action .22s you want something like a Winchester 52, either pre-alphabet, or one of the A, B or C magazine fed models. These higher grade rimfires are magazine fed and smooth as a centerfire rifle.

The single shot D model or the H&R M12 or Kimber rifles will not cut it for the rapid fire stings.

Buckshot
Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
kansas45

I like shooting those rimfire bolt action rifles, Buckshot. That Savage MKII F still has the same non Accu-Trigger as it came with from the factory, except for some minor polishing & shiming of the trigger. My FV has a Boyd's Tactical stock & the factory Accu-Trigger with a little work done to it. I have changed my Savage MKII TRR & the 17 HMR TR triggers to Rifle Basix triggers.

I sometimes shoot with a couple of friends that have CZ something-or-nother's & these are pretty good rifles. Both have had some trigger work & I don't know what else done to them (one of the guys is a gunsmith & does a lot of work for the other one & they are very sneaky (read cheaters )but i'm not ). It's pretty much a toss-up on which of our rifles will shoot the best on any given day.

I have my Grandads Model 60 Winchester single shot bolt rifle in my collection. This is an amazingly accurate rifle & one that I take turtle hunting quite a bit.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote