Thread: Boo Boo Thread!
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #77
greener
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
As a retired Air Force Medic, and spending several years as NCOIC of an AF Hospital Emergency Room in Michigan, (great fishing area) I had occasion to take many a fish hook out of people in my time. Calvin, you wouldn't have been embarrassed in my Emergency Room at all. During the local salmon run up the Ausable River, we used to keep "score" of how many hooks we extracted from people! When the barbs are already through the skin, the best way to extract the hook is to cut the back-end off and push the barbed end back through the skin to the outside. I used to shoot the area up with lidocaine to deaden the pain and then clean the wound and bandage if necessary. Follow that up with a Tetanus shot. I took a hook out of the side of my neck once in a fishing boat out on the river and my buddy almost fainted and fell out of the boat. Couldn't figure out what "his" problem was, the hook was in "my" neck!...................Dick
I somehow ended up with a 5lb northern, me and the dog all attached to the same jerkbait. Got the dog and fish off with only a minor amount of effort, but that left me with a hook embedded past the barb in my index finger. Since I wasn't interested in trailering the boat and driving me, the dog and the boat to the nearest immediate care center, I used a pocket knife to cut the hook out of my finger. Glad I keep really sharp knives. The downside is that the pike had been really active before I did the treble hooking. No bites after that. Real bummer.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote