View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #2211
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good evening. It's been one of those days. The John Deere I'm trying to sell had a worn drive belt and I decided I should change it. I made a run to the dealer in Topeka and picked up a new belt. When I got home, I moved the mower from the shed to the garage. It's kind of complicated to swap the belt. The first step is to remove the deck. Then you have to remove 2 idler pulleys what work as the clutch. Next step is remove the belt guides at the engine and in the rear at the transmission. Then you have to remove the gear on the bottom of the steering column, and pull the column up out of the way. Then you have to remove the double pulley from the engine that drives the mower deck and the transmission. I got it all apart, only to discover that I couldn't get the new belt on. It was too short, or at least seemed to be. I checked the sleeve that the new belt came in and it didn't look like the right part number to me. I looked it up on line and sure enough - it was a mower deck belt. Drove back to Topeka, picked up the correct belt and got it installed. Dang! My luck just sucks, as does the parts dept in John Deere. Because of the extra running, it took me at least an extra hour to get the job finished.

Oh yeah - almost forgot. We have an inch of snow on the ground and it is still falling.