View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
rman
Extraordinary Member

I grew up on a dirt farm in central Kansas. We didn't have any pasture, so the only livestock we had were lots of chickens. I was probably 10 before I realized there was another kind of meat! We had fried chicken, boiled chicken, roasted chicken, barbequed chicken and chicken salad. Believe it or not, I still like it. Our neighbor lived right on the Smokey Hill River and set lots of lines. It wasn't unusual for him to bring over a gunny sack full of catfish. We ate a lot of things like chicken and noodles on mashed potatoes, ham and beans on cornbread, potato soup, lots of variations of eggs (because of all the chickens). We had a huge garden and ate lots of fresh and home-canned vegetables and fruit; tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, celery, carrots, green beans, peas, rhubarb, cabbage, lettuce, strawberries, blackberries, asparagus, apples, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries, etc., etc. We didn't have much, but we sure ate good!