Thread: Walking Canes
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #11
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
Vetter, thanks for the tip on the cane. I had ordered one of them fancy Oak Canes, that was supposed to be 1" , but it turned out to be 3/4". It is light and looks nice for dress, but not a working cane. I ordered a Hickory 1" cane from http://www.enasco.com/product/C07436N for 8.25 plus shipping, and it is a 1" cane. It was unfinished but I had some Golden Oak Stain so I cut about 2" off the crook, sanded it down good, put one coat of stain on it, and 3 coats of linseed oil, and it is just the cats mew.
Calvin, I ordered my first one from Enasco and they sent me an octagon shaped fairly light cane. It felt like it would have made a fine cane but wouldn't hold up to a good whack to the noggin' . I ordered another from somebody else (they sent me a huge catalog that I can't find) and it was exactly what I wanted. Mine is 1" hickory and finished, not pretty but OK. Very heavy and I'm pretty sure about as strong as a "Louisville Slugger". They called it a "stockman's cane" and being a "white ghetto Philly city rat" I ain't too sure what that is ! I know it was only about 8 bucks and serves the purpose. It kinda' gives you a non-lethel way to deal with a minor threat and that could be a good thing for all involved. I'm sure yours looks great, mine is kinda' the Glock of canes!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote