View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
tonyex

Send a message via Yahoo to tonyex

I was born in an apartment 2 blocks from the H.J. Heinz Co processing and experimental kitchens plant and offices. I was raised on a total ethnic diet, same as the neighborhood. One night for supper we would have spagetti and meat sauce, the next night could be stuffed cabbages, another could be corned beef and cabbage only Kosher corned beef. My Dad was a German Catholic, but he said if he was going to eat corned beef it would be the best. On Friday we always had fish, mostly deep fried catfish. We would eat kolbassi, knockworst, Hot Italian sausage, perogis fried potatoes Pickled pigs feet, pig tails with roast pork and saurkraut. Unlevended bread, Italian bread, Jewish rye bread that was weighed. Kibbie, a meat patty from Syria, Baklava pastries. Chop Suey, fried rice. I think your getting the picture, because of the neighborhood and the people who lived there I had a great upbringing. I don't believe my diet has changed any except for some things I can't buy anymore, but if I could buy it I would eat it today. Just 2 weeks ago we stuffed ourselve wih squid and fried and baked Walleye. I'll try to post a picture of the fried squid. Thanks for the thread and making me remember those old times.
Tony

Last edited by tonyex; 12-26-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Add Picture
tonyex is offline   Reply With Quote