Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (

Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") (http://www.earlyriserscoffeeshop.com/forum/index.php)
-   Local Natural Disaster (http://www.earlyriserscoffeeshop.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Carrying medications (http://www.earlyriserscoffeeshop.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942)

caneman 12-30-2009 10:03 AM

Carrying medications

One thing I've been watching for is a container small enough to carry around my neck without being too cumbersom but still big enough for a day or two worth of meds.

My main med which shouldn't be missed are my diabetes and blood pressure meds. I found some affordable aluminum containers that are sized to hold a spare AA battery. That's big enough for me to carry 8 diabetes pills and 4 b/p pills which would cover two full days through a fire, flood, storm or whatever.

They also have a couple of smaller sizes for folks with smaller pills or different dosage. At $2 each they can go one around my neck and even a second in the glovebox or wifes purse. They can be found at www.goinggear.com if anyone else has been looking.

rman 12-30-2009 10:34 AM

Thanks caneman! I ordered one of the bigger sizes for my meds.

Calvin Wiles 12-30-2009 10:38 AM

I have one with 7 compartments for a weeks supply separated for daily doses. I only have to take mine twice a day so I don't have to carry them all the time.

caneman 12-30-2009 11:00 AM

I have the 7 day style of plastic with snap lids. They work great at home but I wanted something I could take with me that wouldn't pop open, wouldn't break if I sat on it, etc. My other meds are such that being missed for a day or two probably wouldn't be a disaster.

I've had some bad reactions to chloesterol lowering drugs so the doctor has me taking 12 fairly large niacin capsules (6,000 units) a day (can't get the 1,000 size lately) but if I missed them for a short time I don't think it would be too bad.

My lady doctor recently told me to buy Mucus Relief and that comes in a bottle half again as big as a 35mm film can and those would be a good screw top style also and would only lack the necklace feature. Actually, those are about 2-3 times the volume of the aluminum ones I mentioned and would hold all of my meds with room left over.

rman 12-30-2009 11:51 AM

I also have a 7 day plastic container with snap open lids, but I have to take a 1000 Mg Omega3 fish oil capsule and one beta-blocker pill at lunch time every day. One of the larger aluminum containers will work great for those two. I've been carrying a small plastic box with a snap open lid in my pocket. I like the idea of carrying one around my neck on a lanyard. I carry enough stuff in my pockets now.

kansas45 12-30-2009 06:26 PM

I carry my meds in a hip flask. :laugh2:

Calvin Wiles 12-31-2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansas45 (Post 19575)

That sounds like just what I need. Where can I order one of them from? :smartass:

rman 12-31-2009 05:41 AM

I'm going to have Dr. Kansas handle all my prescriptions from now on!:D

Teddybear 12-31-2009 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansas45 (Post 19575)

:clap: