Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (

Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") (http://www.earlyriserscoffeeshop.com/forum/index.php)
-   Semi-Auto (http://www.earlyriserscoffeeshop.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   1911's - they'll fool you (http://www.earlyriserscoffeeshop.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6299)

rman 07-10-2018 02:03 PM

1911's - they'll fool you

For someone who has a few 1911's, I guess I'm not very observant. I always think of them as a big, bulky pistol. I have enough "Plastic Fantastics" now to realize that the 1911 is actually a pretty slim, trim gun. It is a good deal slimmer in the slide than the average double stack polymer striker-fired pistol. They are about the thickness of most of the polymer single-stack 9mm's, slimmer than some. When you put them on a diet by using an aluminum frame, they aren't a whole lot heavier either. My S&W 1911SC Series E Cmdr hides pretty darn good with the round butt, and doesn't weigh that much for a .45. Funny how you sometimes can't see the forest for the trees. :blush2:

Vetter 07-10-2018 06:52 PM

The S&W 1911SC Series E Cmdr has some impressive specs especially the 28.8 oz. weight and 8+1 and the round butt make it sound good. It's a beautiful handgun as well but is still 8" long with that belly stabbing beaver tail. I know Teddybear carries one and has no problem but they're not for me to carry. My Nephew has a Colt commander but doesn't carry it. He's been using a G19 last we talked. I guess I'm just interested in self defense but I would still like to have a shiney stainless Colt or S&W 1911 and a shiney polished stainless Colt Python. My buddy Jim who died a couple years back had a chrome plated Python. I called the factory and they said they made only a handful. I should have bought it but he wanted too much for me, $1200 a few years ago. Probably should have bought it as it was rare and may be valued at a few grand now. Oh well, I look good compared to my ugly Glocks. I keep thinking about shining my slide, I really like shiney pistols and I have done others, not hard but time consuming. Anyway they haven't been making 1911's for no reason, they are fine weapons indeed!

rman 07-10-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever (Post 157070)
The S&W 1911SC Series E Cmdr has some impressive specs especially the 28.8 oz. weight and 8+1 and the round butt make it sound good. It's a beautiful handgun as well but is still 8" long with that belly stabbing beaver tail. I know Teddybear carries one and has no problem but they're not for me to carry. My Nephew has a Colt commander but doesn't carry it. He's been using a G19 last we talked. I guess I'm just interested in self defense but I would still like to have a shiney stainless Colt or S&W 1911 and a shiney polished stainless Colt Python. My buddy Jim who died a couple years back had a chrome plated Python. I called the factory and they said they made only a handful. I should have bought it but he wanted too much for me, $1200 a few years ago. Probably should have bought it as it was rare and may be valued at a few grand now. Oh well, I look good compared to my ugly Glocks. I keep thinking about shining my slide, I really like shiney pistols and I have done others, not hard but time consuming. Anyway they haven't been making 1911's for no reason, they are fine weapons indeed!

Vetter I'm 5'7 and weigh 155 lbs. I very comfortably carry the Smith SC. The secret I've found is the right holster. I carry mine in a Crossbreed Super Tuck. It took awhile to break the darn thing in, but now I can carry the SC or a Para Officers Model easily without printing and in comfort. The square butt of a full size 1911 prints a little, but mostly they're just too long for comfort when I'm sitting. They tend to push up on the holster and belt.

After I get the M&P Compact broken in enough to feel comfortable carrying it, I'm going to get an Alien Gear Comfort Tuck 3.5 for it. It's made similar to the Crossbreed, but trades the leather for neoprene and has some other improvements. You would probably like the Compact. It's virtually identical in size to a Glock 19 and gives you plenty of ammo onboard.

I also would like to have a Python. I always liked Smith's action better than Colt's, but who can argue about the looks of the old snake. Unfortunately I couldn't afford one in the 70's and I still can't.

J_B 07-11-2018 05:58 AM

I love shooting any 1911, but I prefer not to carry them... but do EDC my M&P Shield .45 everywhere, as I love it's slim and trim feel, positive grip and only weighs 28 oz loaded. I was asked, "why don't you just carry the Ruger LCP?" well I never could figure out how to stuff a 230-gr cartridge into it :rofl: left him
:thinking2:

rman 07-11-2018 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_B (Post 157097)
I was asked, "why don't you just carry the Ruger LCP?" well I never could figure out how to stuff a 230-gr cartridge into it :rofl: left him
:thinking2:

Good one! :D

rman 07-11-2018 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever (Post 157070)
I guess I'm just interested in self defense but I would still like to have a shiney stainless Colt or S&W 1911 and a shiney polished stainless Colt Python.

Here ya go Vetter. This is on one of the Ruger Forums. You may not be able to view the pictures, but scroll down and see what he is asking for it. :eek:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...?f=41&t=269852

Vetter 07-11-2018 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rman (Post 157111)
Here ya go Vetter. This is on one of the Ruger Forums. You may not be able to view the pictures, but scroll down and see what he is asking for it. :eek:

I missed a good investment for sure. What would a chrome one of only a handful ever made be worth?

rman 07-11-2018 09:31 AM

Well... I dunno. Can't find anything on a chrome one, but someone is asking $5995 for a nickel plated 6" on Gun Broker!

Teddybear 07-11-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever (Post 157115)
What would a chrome one of only a handful ever made be worth?

If you have to ask, you cant afford it.

Vetter 07-11-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rman (Post 157116)
Well... I dunno. Can't find anything on a chrome one, but someone is asking $5995 for a nickel plated 6" on Gun Broker!

I called Colt and asked about this Python and they told me they had made "a handful of chrome plated Pythons over a few years." Mostly for "presention guns." To get a positive answer he needed the serial number and $75 to research it. Just looking at it, I would positively say it was chrome. I have a photo of my Mom holding it and I'll post it if I can find it. You'll agree if you see the photo. What a beautiful revolver!